Exterior Home Improvements for Curb Appeal
Everyone knows that you never get a second chance to make a first impression. When it comes to your home, this is especially true. The curb appeal of your home can provide a welcoming environment and add value. In this article, we’ll discuss not only the first impression, but also the value that curb appeal can add to your home and, more importantly, your lifestyle!
The Value of Curb Appeal
When it comes to updating the exterior of your home, many people weigh the cost of such renovations with the expected Return on Investment (ROI). Any Realtor will tell you that curb appeal is a must for selling any home, but a Michigan State University study estimates that curb appeal can increase perceived home value by 5-11%. For an average $400,000 home, that can add $28,000 in perceived value! That sounds like a pretty important factor to consider.
Types of Exterior Improvements
There are many types of exterior home improvements that can add value. Updating your roofing, siding, windows and landscaping are typically the first things that come to mind when you think about exterior improvements for curb appeal. Here are some suggestions when considering these projects:
- Roofing – homeowners that opt for new asphalt-shingle or metal roofing may see as much as a 60% return on investment. The national average cost of a roof was $11,536 in 2022 so plan and budget accordingly. Go with a neutral color roof that compliments the exterior siding or brick rather than risking anything too bold, as this will impact resale.
- Exterior Siding – The options and costs for exterior siding are pretty vast. You can choose from vinyl, engineered wood, metal, fiber cement, stone or brick, etc. Durability should be taken into consideration as well as maintenance issues like painting or staining. This kind of update will dramatically change the way your house looks and can have a positive impact on curb appeal. Adding options or features like stone or brick accents can also make a home seem much more valuable.
- Windows/Doors – Not only do windows and doors help update the look and energy-efficiency of your home, but they can be a big plus when it comes to value. Choose windows and doors that complement the architecture, are easy to clean, and provide the best value for energy efficiency.
- Landscaping – Work with a landscape designer or architect to choose plants that will thrive in your setting, will require low maintenance, and will still look great in 5-10 years.
Updating the Look of Your Home
Updating your home’s exterior is relatively easy with a trusted remodeler by your side. We have, in fact, incorporated exterior updates into many of our whole house remodeling projects. Here are some examples of clients who requested interior and exterior updates and the finished results.
- A Waterfront Cottage Makeover – the old gray wooden siding was not conducive to a waterfront lifestyle. So, when the couple added a second story to this small cottage, they also dramatically changed the exterior with three different types of yellow siding that really add character. Note the vertical board and batten siding on the porch, extra wide vertical planks, and horizontal siding on other areas to compete the cottage look and feel.
- Traditional Brick to White Transitional – This home located in a desirable Baltimore neighborhood was very traditional in design. The couple elected for renovations inside the home to create a more transitional design. So, the decision was made to paint the brick exterior white to create a more transitional look and feel that perfectly compliments the new home inside and out.
Outdoor Living Spaces
When it comes to the exterior of your home, don’t forget to consider the lifestyle you want to achieve. Adding an outdoor kitchen, firepit, pool, patio or screened-in porch can help the family get outdoors more! This also adds tremendous value for prospective buyers who can imagine themselves enjoying that outdoor space too!
Parker Design Build Remodel offers clients a design-build process and personal approach that allows you to consider the design, budgeting, and usefulness of the spaces you desire to create. This approach has provided a consistent 5 star rating and an A+ by the BBB. Ready to get started? Contact Parker today to schedule a design consultation